4.9.2012

Introducing Nasu

I started this blog so I would have a place to write about my jewellery a little more. I have a page on Facebook but that doesn't really give me a space to talk about the actual jewellery making. It works fine for posting photos and short updates and such but I needed a place to write a little more and, hence, after much consideration, set up this blog.

Despite my initial reasons for the blog or its short title, I want this blog to be about things that do not fall under the category "jewellery" or "handcrafts". I haven't quite found a way to write about myself or my life yet - for many reasons ranging from privacy issues to "who would want to read this babbling". I don't know where to start and how. However, I think introducing my muse is a step I can easily take. So here goes.

Nasu is a female cat. Her name is Finnish for Piglet from AA Milne's Winnie the Pooh. She was given that name by my little sister who got Nasu from a place called Ykspihlaja in our hometown, Kokkola, in the spring of 2002. At the time, she lived in a small flat in the city centre of Kokkola. I remember going there to see Nasu when I was in town. She used to look at us from the top of a closet, from high up. She was sleek and black and pretty.

Later on, my sister got another cat. At some point, they were both taken to our parents' place and they stayed. During that summer in 2004, there was an incident where Nasu attacked the younger cat and they were separated. As a result, Nasu was taken back to my sister's flat. She had been deemed erratic and aggressive which resulted in my pregnant sister being worried about bringing a child into the situation. When she came closer to giving birth, she and our mom decided they had to do something about Nasu.

They contacted the local animal rescue organisation and were put in contact with a lady who was willing to give Nasu a home. She had other cats and dogs which made us all a little worried. How would they get along? How would Nasu feel being taken away from all of us? I remember one particular phone call where we discussed this and the idea of me and my spouse taking Nasu was voiced. I went to my spouse, trying to prepare myself for disappointment. Luckily, there wasn't a need for that. Soon after, at the beginning of November in 2004, my aunt and mom came to visit and they brought Nasu.

The queen had arrived. After the first months she showed her aggressive side to us. She might attack my hand on the couch or run and attack me when I was walking from a room to another. We took her to the vet and made sure there wasn't anything physically wrong with her. She got a clean bill of health, all labs were normal. We talked about behavioral aspects and ideas for what we could do. We were told to remove her from the situation when she behaved aggressively, to put her in another room to cool off. We did that but I don't think it helped.

We were out of ideas - until the vet suggested we should try medicating Nasu. I was very against the idea at first for many reasons. I didn't want her to have to take something every day nor was I looking forward trying to get the pill down. As time went by, we talked about it some more and decided to give it a try. I don't think we have ever regretted that decision. For several years now, there has been no signs of aggression. Before we did this, Nasu might get upset over a loud noise like a sneeze or coughing and attack. Nowadays, she might not react at all and if she does, she just lifts her head a little and then goes back to her nap. She is calm and had no problems whatsoever when she stayed with my sister for over 3 months earlier this year. She is headstrong and a rascal sometimes, oh yes, but not aggressive.

Today, Nasu is past the mark of 10 years of age. She lives with my spouse and I and spends her days napping, playing with my beads and eating. She loves beef sticks - all flavours and brands we have ever bought her - and her favourite foods are usually fish of some sort. She also likes rabbit and chicken, at least. She has her own spot on the couch and likes to make nests digging her away under the sheets on the couch. She likes dripping water, and her toy with the herb Valerian and wants to be alone at times. Because of the difficulties I have had with my mental health over the past years, the responsibilities of taking care of Nasu have fallen almost solely on my spouse. I feel really guilty about this. I also feel more than a little grateful that I have a spouse who is willing to do all that is related to taking care of - and especially cleaning after - a cat. I am lucky to have those two in my life and I don't know what I would do without either of them.

So that is the story of Nasu and how she became a part of our family. As she would say: Meow and Purrrrr!


 

Ei kommentteja: