14.8.2012

Prayer beads

A while ago, I received an order for a set of prayer beads. The customer asked for red beads so I went to Bicone and looked up beads that I could use. She chose waxed red beads with a sort of a fire colour to them. I also found a few crosses for her to choose from and when she had picked one, made the order. I included a few other crosses for other sets of prayer beads I could make and sent it in.

The order arrived while I was in Kokkola. After I had come back home, I took the beads and the cross and made a set of prayer beads using metallic wire. The wire is very strong so I thought it could handle about 90 beads. I was wrong. I finished the set and as I was handling it, the wire snapped. I was astounded.

I thought of a few other options for the set and messaged my customer. She said that she trusts my judgement and said that I can decide on a model. According to her, she will love the result anyway. So now I am faced with a decision: do I use wire for smaller strands that I attach with hoops or do I use jewellery nails and put 2 or 3 beads on each one, linking them together to make a long strand. I will keep you posted and let you know what I decide. 

By the way, did you know that many religions use prayer beads and each have guidelines for the number of beads there should be in each set? It was quite fascinating to google prayer beads and learn a little more of them. 

Ei kommentteja: